A Portuguese school decided to answer the question,”where do a school’s responsibilities begin, and where do they end?” and clarify the matter once and for all, by sticking a poster in its halls. The school’s sign was later shared on Letter to the parents, and quickly began to spread around the world. The simple but effective messager highlights five key points which the school is determined should be managed by the parents, as follows:
- We would like to remind you that magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, all begin to be learned at home.
- It’s also at home that children learn to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to properly dispose of garbage.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to touch others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach language, math, history, geography, physics, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.”
Do you think that schools in the US should be posting this in their hallways, too? Share if you agree that parents need to take responsibility for their children’s behavior!